An interesting list of obstacles here, although some do seem to be redundant. I would also say most of them apply to any job, not just teaching.
One I disagreed with on many levels is this, “Receiving lower pay for equal work in some school districts in comparison to high school teachers.” First, it isn’t really the same, or equal, work. Middle School often ends earlier than High School. And while the work of the teacher doesn’t end when school ends, this does provide additional time in the day to do the necessary out of school work. Secondly, MS teachers don’t need to worry about violence in the school generally. Most of the students are small enough that they can, if necessary, be physically controlled. Not true in HS. And as a Science Teacher, my content can change year to year in HS due to discoveries. In MS, the level is generally low enough that content can stay the same. Both levels do need to stay on top of advances in pedagogy.
I do agree with this statement, “Lack of proper training in differentiation.” It is constantly mentioned in classes, asked about on job applications but actual training in it is limited to a few phrases and generalities. I suppose some of this is due to the fact that each student is different so specific steps cannot be taught and each teacher is different so some methodologies may not work with their personalities. The question on the applications is specifically vexing because it just asks how you would differentiate without giving any specifics. What is the issue with the student(s)? How many?
I would enjoy hearing any tips on differentiation that others have heard or tried.
Thanks, have a good day!
No comments:
Post a Comment